Hi, folks. We already know that CentOS is one of the most popular server distributions. So CentOS 8 (1911) is available for download. It comes with many new features and bug fixes and in this post, we will tell you about it.
CentOS is a wonder for our servers. Together with Debian and Ubuntu Server, they dominate the field of Red Hat and SUSE permission servers. CentOS (1911) is a collection of all the new features of Red Hat Linux 8.1 because it is based on it.
That’s why there are many interesting new features such as support for live kernel patches. This feature allows you to apply changes caused by patches without having to reboot your computer. This feature is available on Ubuntu or SUSE.
On the other hand, we also have a new routing protocol stack that supports IPv4 and IPv6.
However, there are other features to consider:
- The development team has modified certain packages. I imagine that to adapt them better to the distribution. Some of them are Firefox, DHCP, Plymouth, httpd, thunderbird, yum, among others.
- You make your debut as an SELinux policy generator for containers.
- The LUKS2 format now supports re-encrypting block devices while the devices are in use.
- PHP 7.3, Ruby 2.6 Node.js 12 and Nginx 1.16 are available as new module streams.
However, there are also known problems that warn us:
- If you’re going to use CentOS 8 (1911) in VirtualBox don’t choose the “Server with a GUI” option.
- Installing the VirtualBox Addons will produce an error if your version is 6.0.12/5.2.32 or lower.
- It is also known that PackageKit is unable to resolve local DNF/YUM variables.
Download CentOS 8 (1911)
Of course, this new version of CentOS 8 is available for download from the project website. As always it is recommended to use a torrent client so as not to saturate the servers.
Current CentOS 8 users are also urged to upgrade to this version as they will be removing support for the old packages.
If you want more information you can check the release notes.
Also share this post and join our Telegram channel.