With the passing of time GIT has become very popular among developers. Even so that it is very likely to be the most used in the world above Mercurial and SVN. So it’s a good idea to know about tools that can make the most of it. Above all, because we live in a world where speed and time savings are vital in the development of applications and technological projects. For this reason, today we present Sublime Merge a nice GIT client for Linux. It has many advantages and in this post, we will tell you some. In addition, you will learn to install it on some Linux distributions.
Sublime Merge is a GIT client. It comes to facilitate routine work with GIT as well as the management of repositories and branches. So, we can say that Sublime Merge increases and speeds up the development work of an application. If the name reminds you of Sublime Text, it is because they are sister projects. So we expect a fast, versatile and above all very efficient client in the consumption of resources.
In their website, some of their features stand out:
- Sublime Merge has an Integrated Merge Tool. The Integrated Merge Tool allows you to resolve any merge conflicts directly in Sublime Merge, rather than having to open up your editor of choice.
- Light and Dark Themes. This will allow you to customize the application to your taste and at night protect your vision with a softer theme.
- As well as Sublime Text, Sublime Merge incorporates many customizable Keyboard shortcuts. Thus the work becomes more agile
- Sublime Merge is designed to work hand in hand with the command line. Therefore, the application has a powerful integration with the command line, so the work becomes more productive because you can use it when you need it most.
- In spite of being paid for, you can use it for free for an unlimited time. Ideal if you are learning to develop.
As you can see, this is a very nice GIT client for Linux. So, let us install it.
Getting this GIT Client for Linux
If we go to its download section, we can read that the application is available for major Linux distributions through a repository of its own. There are repositories for Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, and OpenSUSE. That is, the most popular.
In this case, I will show you how to do it in Ubuntu 18.04 or Linux Mint 19.
First, open a terminal and run the following command:
:~$ wget -qO - https://download.sublimetext.com/sublimehq-pub.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
Then, install a required package.
:~$ sudo apt install apt-transport-https
After that, add the repository.
:~$ echo "deb https://download.sublimetext.com/ apt/stable/" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sublime-text.list
Then, update the APT cache and install it.
:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install sublime-merge
Finally, launch it from the main menu.
So, enjoy it.
As you can see, there are nice GIT clients for Linux, some free others not, but all with the aim of facilitating the work with GIT. In this context, Sublime Merge is presented as a fast, simple and powerful program to accomplish this goal. Hand in hand with Sublime Text a great editor of the very popular text, we expect only quality.
We want to know about you, have you used this client? did you know it? let us know in the comments.
Please share this post with your friends.