Yes, the latest version of the Linux kernel for this year 2019 has arrived. So, Linux 5.4 is available and in this post, we will talk about the main features of the fifth version of the 5 series.
Linus Torvalds has announced the availability of Linux 5.4 for download and prepared for existing Linux distributions. It is true that this new version is not a revolutionary advance over 5.3, but it does add a constant improvement in driver support and the incorporation of new technologies.
But what are the main features of Linux 5.4? we’ll see.
Linux 5.4 features
As we are used to the main features of the new versions of Linux are technical. That is to say, they are new drivers, file systems and of course new technologies. We will summarize the most important ones for the common user:
- Support for AMD Navi 12/14, Arcturus and Renoir APU.
- This version includes the first pieces for supporting the future Intel Tiger Lake GPU.
- Support for SoC Qualcomm Snapdragon 855.
- Support for Intel Ice Lake Thunderbolt.
- In this version, the security feature Lockdown is released. This protects access to certain components of the kernel. This focuses on the business environment and to avoid sabotage.
- If you use an AMD Ryzen 3000 you will be able to enjoy the temperature report.
- Various improvements in the way data are encrypted. As well as improvement in kernel virtualization.
However, the most expected feature in this new version is the inclusion of exFAT support. This file system that is powered by Microsoft finally appears in a Linux kernel. However, it is the first implementation so give it time.
So, we can say that Linux 5.4 is a minor version that includes the typical driver improvements we could expect. On the other hand, the inclusion of exFAT makes us glimpse even more compatibility with windows.
Also, this version includes a new security layer by including the lockdown that is not enabled by default.
Finally, we can get almost all the new features of this version thanks to Kernel Newbies where they highlight them in detail.