Hello! Whenever we install a program, it is displayed in the program list. Therefore, everyone who uses the computer will be able to see it. In addition, it is likely that you have ever wanted to hide an installed program. Indeed, that is the reason for this tutorial. However, Windows 10 does not have a native way to do this. But don’t worry, because we’ll give you a couple of options. Read on to find out how to hide installed programs in Windows 10.
Reasons to hide installed programs in Windows 10.
We have always sought greater control over the operating system. In addition, there may be privacy reasons for doing so. Let’s look at some of them:
- Install a Parental Control application. If so, it is logical that we do not want children to be aware of its existence.
- Hide applications that we do not want anyone else to use. Especially if we share the computer with family or friends. Consequently, only we will have access to the specific software.
- Also if we are using a work computer. Consequently, we may install a program that is not allowed. For example, a game.
How to hide a program in Windows 10 using the registry editor.
As we have warned you, there is no easy way to do this in Windows 10. Therefore, we recommend following the steps strictly. Also, as always, before modifying the registry, we recommend making a backup. Specifically, we will create a new DWORD value in the Windows Registry. In order to mark the programs we want to hide. Please follow the steps below:
- Open the Run box by pressing the Win+R combination. Once there, run the regedit command.
- Once inside the editor, please find the following location:
- For 32-bit applications installed on a 64-bit PC, please go to this address:
- Now, inside the Uninstall folder, choose the application you want to hide. In this opportunity, we will hide Recuva.
- Consequently, we will make click right of the mouse on a blank space of the Recuva folder. Next, New DWORD Value (32 bits).
- Now double click on the new value to rename it. Accordingly, assign it the name SystemComponent. Also, enter the value 1 in the information field. Finally press OK and close the editor.
From now on, the application will be completely hidden from the list of applications. To restore it, repeat the same steps but delete the SystemComponent value.
Using the group policy editor
This is an add-on to MMC. It allows you to manage group policies applied to objects. Note that this editor is not available for Windows 10 Home versions. However, this is a more drastic solution. It will hide the entire list of programs and features. Please follow the steps below:
- Once again press Win+R and run the command gpedit.msc.
- Then go to the following location:
User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Programs
- Now, right-click on the Hide “Programs and Features” page:
Next, select the Enabled option. Press OK and finally close the editor.
In this way, we will completely hide the list of installed programs. To reverse the action, repeat the steps and select the option Not configured. Okay, so we have seen how to hide programs in Windows 10. So now you can use this interesting feature. See you soon!