Hello! Diskpart is an internal tool included in Windows systems that allows you to manage storage units. Indeed, it is possible to manage internal and external drives, disks, partitions and virtual hard disks. Read on to learn that Diskpart is a very useful tool for managing storage in Windows 10.
Short view at Diskpart.
In the course of working with Windows, you have surely experienced problems with storage drives. For example, sometimes USB drives have lost their file system. Consequently, it is impossible to format it with the classic system methods. Similarly, several self-assembled hard drives can cause boot errors. It is also possible that the disks are assigned the wrong letter. However, many other problems can arise with storage units. Nevertheless, the vast majority of them can be solved by Diskpart.
The only requirement to run this tool is that the user is in the local administrators group. Or in the same way that he has equivalent permissions. From then on, you just need to press the Win+R combination to invoke run box. Once there, type the following:
Another way to access is through the search bar. With this in mind press the Win+Q combination. Now type diskpart
Obviously, if you are already running a CMD, just run the diskpart command to launch the tool.
Diskpart is a simple but very powerful tool.
After doing some above steps a system symbol is displayed with Diskpart running. Please do not be fooled by the apparent simplicity, as it offers many possibilities and options.
In fact, there are almost 40 commands available to use. I show you the most useful ones below:
- Disk or help: shows the diskpart commands to use and a brief description
- List disk: shows all the discs of the computer.
- List vdisk: Displays the virtual disks, if any.
- Select: moves the focus to a disk, volume or partition. This is a mandatory command to work with each element.
- List volume: It provides a list of the volumes present.
- Assign: assigns a unit letter or a mount point to the selected volume.
- List partition: As its name indicates, it shows the partitions of the disks.
- Clean:removes all partition or volume formatting from the selected disk.
- Create: creates a partition, a volume or a virtual disk.
- Extend: extends the selected volume or partition to a free and unassigned space.
- Shrink: reduces the size of the selected volume by the specified amount.
- Format: formats a disk on the supported file systems in Windows
Practical use of Diskpart.
As mentioned, sometimes USB devices are problematic. That is, it is impossible to access them graphically. Consequently, it is impossible to format them in the traditional way. But don’t worry, we will show you how to do it with Diskpart without resorting to third party solutions. Please follow these steps:
- Run Diskpart.
- Type list disk to see the drive with problems. For the example the number 3.
- Select the drive with select disk 3.
- Type the clean command to clean the drive.
This way, the unit will be available and ready to be formatted with the system you want.
Ultimately, we have met Diskpart, a very useful tool for managing partitions in Windows 10. From now on you can count on this app to work more comfortably with Windows storage. On the other hand, the use of this tool can be complemented with CHKDSK. Bye!