Trisquel is a GNU/Linux distribution endorsed and supported by the Free Software Foundation. This means that in addition to incorporating the Linux kernel, the distribution is free of proprietary licenses. Recently they have announced Trisquel 9.0 under the name “Etiona“, in this post they will mention the new features it includes.
On the other hand, Trisquel 9.0 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS packages. But with different changes and elimination of blobs to guarantee that everything is 100% open source. So that it complies with the recommendations of the Free Software Foundation for code freedom.
View the various news and tutorials concerning Linux.
Trisquel 9.0: What’s new?
- In the most recent version of Trisquel, it includes the consolidation of MATE as a desktop environment by default. Similarly, the reason why they have chosen MATE is that it preserves the user experience of the legendary GNOME 2.
- Triskel, running the KDE environment. Excellent for customizing the design and look in fine detail.
- Trisquel TOAST, based on the Sugar learning platform. Comes with dozens of educational activities for children.
- Trisquel netinstall image. To deploy with a command-line install interface, ideal for servers and advanced users.
- On the other hand, the applications that stand out are: the default browser is “Abrowser” a derivative of Firefox. With the aim of being respectful of the freedom and privacy of users. It also comes with LibreOffice 6.0.7, IceDove 68.10, VLC 3.0.8, and GIMP 2.8.22.
For more information visit the website.
Despite the longer than usual release time, all packages are fully up to date with long-term-support updates and security patches.
On the other hand, the addition of patch applications, such as GIMP 2.8.22 and LibreOffice 6.0.7 sounds somewhat obsolete in these times. However, they can be built to that Trisquel 9 is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
Similarly, given the time it took for Trisquel 9.0 many of the packages are already quite outdated. Although eventually Trisquel 10.0 should be the change to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.