- Advertisement -
What is Tilix?
Tilix is a tiling terminal emulator for Linux using GTK+3. It is more advanced than default Terminal with great features. Provides the customization and many more features, so here are the great features of Tilix.
- Layout terminals in any fashion by splitting them horizontally or vertically
- Terminals can be rearranged using drag and drop both within and between windows
- Terminals can be detached into a new window via drag and drop
- Input can be synchronized between terminals so commands typed in one terminal are replicated to the others
- The grouping of terminals can be saved and loaded from disk
- Terminals support custom titles
- Color schemes are stored in files and custom color schemes can be created by simply creating a new file
- Transparent background
- Background images
- Quake mode support (i.e. drop-down terminal)
So, after reading the features now we will move toward the Installation process. Tilix can be installed on major Linux distributions such as Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Solus, Arch, OpenSuse, etc. See the main dependencies here:
- GTK 3.18 or later (Tilix 1.8.3 or later, earlier versions supported GTK 3.14)
- GTK VTE 0.42 or later
- Nautilus-Python (Required for Nautilus integration)
Install Tilix GTK3 tiling Terminal on Ubuntu / Debian
As the official Tilix packages are available for stretch-backports, buster & sid repositories, so run the command
- Advertisement -
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt install tilix
[sudo] password for sabi:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 gir1.2-gudev-1.0 gir1.2-udisks-2.0
libcdr-0.1-1 libclucene-contribs1v5 libclucene-core1v5
libcmis-0.5-5v5 libcolamd2 libdazzle-1.0-0
libe-book-0.1-1 libedataserverui-1.2-2 libeot0
libepubgen-0.1-1 libetonyek-0.1-1 libexiv2-14
libfreerdp-client2-2 libfreerdp2-2 libgc1c2
libgee-0.8-2 libgexiv2-2 libgom-1.0-0 libgpgmepp6
libgpod-common libgpod4 liblangtag-common liblangtag1
liblirc-client0 liblua5.3-0 libmediaart-2.0-0
libmspub-0.1-1 libodfgen-0.1-1 libqqwing2v5 libraw16
librevenge-0.0-0 libsgutils2-2 libssh-4
libsuitesparseconfig5 libvncclient1 libwinpr2-2
libxapian30 libxmlsec1 libxmlsec1-nss lp-solve
media-player-info python3-mako python3-markupsafe
syslinux syslinux-common syslinux-legacy
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
libgtkd-3-0 libphobos2-ldc-shared78 libvted-3-0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libgtkd-3-0 libphobos2-ldc-shared78 libvted-3-0 tilix
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 51.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Now, go to Activities & search for Tilix as shown below:
Open it to run Tilix.
Now, you can customize your Tilix and enjoy the comfort.