Malwarebytes is one of the most respected names in the market of security software. The brand has earned its fame over the course of time by keeping people safe from a major number of threats. Now, you can take your security measures one step ahead with Malwarebytes browser extension.
Malwarebytes browser extension
The extension is available for Firefox and Chrome – 2 of the most popular web browsers of all times. The extension comes up with the name “Malwarebytes Browser Extension (BETA)”. As the name suggests, the extension is still in beta stage but it’s enough powerful to provide you all of its features seamlessly.
The target of this browser extension is to protect the computer from threats while browsing the web. When installed, the extension will work actively for protecting against malicious sites, popups, scams (tech support etc.) and acting like an advertising and tracking blocker.
According to Malwarebytes, their extension is capable of doing the following things –
- Malware protection: Blocks malicious programs or code that can damage your system.
- Scam protection: Blocks online scams, including technical support scams, browser lockers, and phishing.
- Advertising/tracker protection: Blocks third-party ads and third-party ad trackers that monitor your online activity. The number of blocked ads/trackers for a website will show beside the Malwarebytes logo in your browser.
- Clickbait protection: Blocks content and websites that often display behavior of questionable value.
- DISCLAIMER: Clickbait filtering is in no way politically motivated, it is purely behaviorally based
- Potentially unwanted program (PUP) protection: Blocks the downloading of potentially unwanted programs, including toolbars and pop-ups.
Malwarebytes also claim that this is the first extension of its kind that heuristically detects and blocks browser tech support scams. This means that it will not only block the known scams, but also the unknown ones (in theory). This is great as tech scams are very annoying that may freeze the browser or make it difficult to close.
According to Malwarebytes blog post on the extension, the tactics is also efficient in defending against social engineering.
Getting the extension
The Malwarebytes extension is available at the Chrome Web Store and Firefox Add-ons.
Once installed, you will notice the extension icon at the extension bar. If you click it, you’ll notice 2 available options – “Malware/Scams” and “Ads/Clickbait”.
If you’re facing problem with any website, try turning them on or off. The extension is still in beta, so it’s nothing to blame.
From the “Settings” page, you’ll notice a number of available protection options.
If there’s a particular site having problem with the security features, you can whitelist it from the “Allow List” tab.
You can help Malwarebytes team by sharing info on some telemetry to Malwarebytes. If you don’t want to, you can opt out from the “About” tab.