Hello! Windows 10 is a user-friendly and easy-to-use system. In fact, it is used worldwide for multiple actions. From the study, work and leisure as well. Consequently, there are various types of users. Some of which like to configure the system in a secure way. So today we will look at a task related to system security. As we will learn how to modify the Hosts file in Windows.
What is the Host file and how to modify it in Windows 10.
Before proceeding further, it is necessary to define the Hosts file. In simple words, it is a file that stores important information. This information is of capital influence for the system. As its name indicates, it configures the hosts and domain names. Which will be assigned to the corresponding IP addresses. Consequently, it enables or disables Internet access to those websites. In addition, it is a practical solution for changing DNS servers. Beyond the information provided by the internet provider. Therefore, it is an essential file for the security of the system.
First, we will see how to access this file. The first option I propose to you is through the file explorer. With this in mind, press Win+E and then paste the following address:
Another option is through the execute command. With this in mind, press the combination and paste the following text:
This action will take you directly to the location of the Hosts file.
How to modify the Hosts file in Windows
We have several options to modify this file. Besides, all of them are functional. Just select the one that best suits your needs.
Copying the Hosts file.
- Copy the Hosts file to another drive
- Open the copied file in Notepad
- Edit the file as desired and select Save
- Overwrite the original Hosts file with the edited file
Using notepad with administrator rights.
- Open Notepad with administrator rights.
- Once there, go to the address we have indicated and open the file.
- Make the necessary modifications and save the file.
Editing the Hosts file with third-party tools.
- Download and install the Host File Editor software from this link
- Once it has been installed, open the program and enter the site address
- The site(s) you have added will be blocked, unless you later delete them.
Very well, in the last instance, we have seen how to modify the Hosts file in Windows 10. As you can see, a tool to improve the security of the system. See you soon!